Latex fashion has become a form of performance art, not only accentuating bodily form but also allowing designers to develop complex and exciting creative ideas relating to color, texture, shape, volume, historical reference, high culture, and pop art. Latex fashion also inspires models to create complete characters, develop stage personas, interact, and foment live theater. One of today’s leading exponents of this fascinating development and creative evolution is model Janette of New York.
Shortly after meeting the late photographer, Tobias Batz, in 2013 at the Fountain Art Fair in New York City, Janette began shooting with him weekly. She was soon featured in four framed Giclée pieces (Little Briar Rose, Nyai Roro Kidul, Venus In Fur, and Hangaku Gozen with Obi), each uniquely finished with spray paint, numbered and dated (2013), shown at Batz’ acclaimed opening, “Mythical Women,” at Arlene’s Grocery in New York. Batz applied his cutting edge use of photography, body painting, and experimental methods of digital processing to create a hybrid of fashion photography and street art, and inspired Janette to experiment with latex, liquid latex, and shibari.
Janette’s career quickly blossomed, as she was featured on Ink Master: Rivals, Season 5, Episode 2, Inking With The Enemy, which aired on September 2, 2014. She was originally featured as a body-paint canvas during the “Painted Pin Up” Flash Challenge, and subsequently on Elimination Tattoo “Pin Ups” stood before the judges’ panel of Joe Manganiello (guest judge), Dave Navarro, Oliver Peck, and Chris Nunez. Also, after meeting Nange Magro (UK) at Dominatrix Party in The Netherlands in March of 2015, she was included in a collaboration with Peter Kato and Janette exploring the theme of “bedtime stories” that showcased her fashion design of Dead Lotus Couture for the opening reception. Their recreation of “Little Red Riding Hood” was featured in Peter Kato & myplasticheart present: Bedtime Stories: a Custom Bedtime Bunnies Exhibition, also in 2015.
The year 2016 was equally exciting as Janette assisted Martin Serpentis, the erotic and pinup artist from Berlin, on a special exhibit for the ART Bizarre-High Gloss Fashion Art Expo as part of the Fetish Evolution Weekend 2016, in Essen, Germany. There, as Janette puts it, she was “dolled up for the evening’s fashion show” at Fetish Evolution, titled “Der Ball,” by UK designer Bondinage. On thatoccasion she modeled a latex garter belt she wore for “Bedroom Eyes” specially made for her by Bondinage. Also in 2016, her previous work led to a successful collaboration with artist Stefano Alcantara, who selected an oil painting inspired by their session, titled “Libertad,” for Paul Booth’s Last Rites Gallery’s 13th Hour exhibition in New York City.
In addition to the above-mentioned, Janette’s work was featured in the following international fashion exhibitions:
• Dominatrix, Uitgeest, The Netherlands - Sebastian Cauchos (2015 - Dominatrix Party), Kurage (2015, Dominatrix Party)
• Fetish Evolution, Essen, Germany - Bondinage (2016 - Fetish Evolution “Der Ball”)
• German Fetish Ball, Berlin, Germany - Kurage (2016 - The German Fetish Ball XIII), Pandora Deluxe (2017 - The German Fetish Ball XIV),Bondinage (2107 - Fetish Guerrilla Revolution), Mrs. Gravedigger Latex (2018 - The German Fetish Ball XV)
• Kawaii Monster Cafe, Jingumae, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan - Kurage (2016 - KMC SHOW CASE stage vol 2)
• Montreal Fetish Weekend, Montreal, Québec, Canada - Vengeance Designs (2014 - Latextacy: Pop Animé Ball), House of Etiquette (2015 - Fashion Frenzy - Red Carpet Street Fashion Show, Kurage (2015 - Latextacy Ball: Sin-A-Matic), Il Bolero (2016 - Mode en Folie: Street Fashion Shows, Latextacy: Fairytale II)
• Prague Fetish Weekend, Prague, Czech Republic - Ausrie Fel (2017 - Latex Fashion Show)
• Torture Garden, London, UK - Kurage (2017 - Halloween Ball 1)
New Jersey Horror Con and Film Festival, Atlantic City, NJ, USA - Poisonous Pinups Magazine (March 2019, October 2019 - Issue no. 18, September 2021 - Issue no. 34, Cover)